View Single Post
Heidi 12:47 PM 11-21-2011
Oh, I wasn't saying that because he is gifted, he doesn't need to follow the rules, or can go around clobbering people!

There are some children who aren't a good mix for us. I personally, adore gifted school-agers, but have struggled with a few preschoolers over the years with the same label. They can be extremely sensitive, or extremely contrary. They can be "Bart Simpson", as I said earlier. They may potty train themselves at 18 months, read at 3, but also be aggressive and not "get" some things.

There are people with many types of abilities. There are people with special needs. I would say that we need to acknowledge that, but it does not excuse poor behavior. If a child is developmentally delayed, for example, we wouldn't say "hey, you are special, you can go around hitting everyone". But, we would understand that it is part of their condition, and maybe give a little consideration.

Another possibility is that he may have sensitivities. He might perceive light, sound, or touch much more than most of us do (sensory integration issues).

OP needs to decide if she has the interest, ability, and resources to deal with all this. It's ok if she doesnt! I don't know if I would! If not, then she needs to be honest, and use whatever resources she can find to get through until then. If she tell the parents what she sees, they may be able to find a better fit for him vs. him going through one dc after another for the next year-and-a-half.

Gosh, I didn't mean to give a speech, just trying to clarify!