View Single Post
sahm1225 12:18 PM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
I am currently looking at other programs.

This program definitely isn't academic based. The curriculum isn't advanced at all, they teach age appropriate stuff. He is very bright and learned how to write at home, but he is not academically challenged at all at preschool (which is fine by me, but maybe I'm too passive), the outdoor and indoor play areas are the biggest reason I chose this center in the first place. They have a great outdoor area. They play outside 4 times per day (length of time is dependent on the weather) up to 40 minutes, they have nap time, indoor play time, circle time (teacher reads to them), and then they do a few basic work sheets/coloring pages, projects with cutting/glue/playdoh/painting. The kids have a lot of independence in how they play as well.

I just wish he was able to play with older kids. He clashes with 3 year olds, haha.
I must be missing something because I don't see where the program He's in is a bad program?

My nephew is the same way as you described your son. Incredibly intelligent, very articulate, active, and sometimes can have a short temper. He's 6 now and In school full time. His birthday is in late September and in our state, he was past the cut off when the kids can start kindergarten. His daycare friends all left for school and he was the only one left with the 3-4 year olds (he was 5). He struggled at first. There were usually warning signs that he was getting upset and I needed to intervene.

I do believe the teacher missed the warning signs from your little guy. The fact that a second teacher had to be called to help to restrain him tells me that by the time they intervened your poor little guy had lost all control in the situation and didn't know how to behave.

I would talk to the teacher to come up with a plan on what to do when he's feeling overwhelmed. He has already told you how he handled a similar situation differently and that's great. I would also see if the teacher can give him extra responsibility since he will be transferring to the other class in a few weeks anyway. I would put my nephew in charge of writing the names on the parents daily sheets in the morning, he loved doing laundry so he was in charge of gathering the daycare laundry, he also loved to set the table during meals. It was simple things that helped remind him that yes he is older but he can still play and have fun with the 'littles'as he called them.

Good luck! I think you're an amazing mom from what you e said on here. And totally random but I once had my 5 year old daughter draw a card for her kindergarten teacher after she had a difficult day with not listening.