View Single Post
MizzCheryl 06:30 PM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
please share what you did to turn it around.
Well I setup a time a called Nanny de. Wow she has the sweetest voice. I had already emailed her a list of the problems I had been having so we got right down to it. I had a feeling that several of the problems stemmed from behaviors at home and was afraid there was nothing I could do. She assured me that children are extremely intelligent and with proper guidance would come to understand what is expected of them when in my care. Just because they whine, throw fits, sass and misbehave with mom, dad or gma does not mean that they cannot behave for me. The kids were trying to be the ones in charge. There are behaviors and little things that you do not realize that give children power, the wrong kind of power. Misbehavior should be prevented at the first signs. For example, I had a child that was always playing in a squeaky, squealing voice. I found it annoying but thought, oh well, it is just kids. When I spoke of this to Nanny De she made me realize that the squeaking/squealing would easily escalate into inappropriate behavior. When I began to pay attention to that I realized that it always did. She taught me things to prevent the kids from getting out of hand in the first place.
I am not good at explaining it but she makes it seem so simple. She also looked at my schedule and told me how to change it around a little so that the kids are more rested which helps for a better mood. I realized that the kids were competing to see which of them could be in charge.
Just something simple like getting ready to go outside; I used to open the door and the kids would all charge and try to get out. Now I lead my kids and they know it. They look to me for direction and I get a ton of hugs and “I love you, Ms. C” every day. They are happy and so am I.
There is just too much to write it all down. It is amazing what you can pack into an hour consultation.