View Single Post
Unregistered 10:56 AM 04-22-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I also wouldn't have called unless it was an illness or emergency type of situation. That said, you didn't do anything to warrant their behavior especially if they are 'still' mad. Geez parents, get over it already.

That said, I think I would say (if they are still mad tomorrow or at pick up).

"I have been getting the feeling that you are still angry about the other day. You do understand that I was just calling you to talk to you and not to necessarily pick up, don't you? On the phone I said '(then repeat exactly what you said so at least you know they got the correct message)'. I was kind of surprised to see dad had come to pick up. It turns out she calmed down so he wouldn't have had to make the trip."

Then see what they say.

If they seem okay then just make some comment like "Well (smile) I just wanted to make sure we were okay."

If they say something unreasonable then "I'm sorry you didn't like how I handled it. What would you have liked me to do instead?"

That's how I think I would handle it. I would start getting irritated if I had to face their anger every day. I'd have to get the air cleared.

Laurel
Thanks for this. I will approach DCM this afternoon if things still seem weird. I don't like feeling like there's loose ends. I want this mother to understand I CAN handle her child, and I want to reassure her that they have no reason to doubt my abilities (which I feel like they do).

And just to clarify, I'm not one who is quick to send kids home. Other than sending sick kids home, I've only sent a child home once and that was for extremely disruptive behavior that lasted for almost 2 hours (caused by DCM at drop off, on purpose or so it seemed).