View Single Post
nannyde 02:31 PM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by Tasha:
Today was his first day. His grandma dropped him off (dad's out of the picture, apparently), because DCM is out of town. About 15 mins after he arrived, he told me, ''I did No. 2, you need to change me.'' I thought he had just had an accident, so I went and got his bag, which I thought only had spare clothes, etc., and discover a bunch of diapers. When I interviewed him and his mother, I did not even think to ask if he was potty-trained because of his age, and certainly did not notice his diaper. After I changed him, I called his grandma to ask what was going on. She told me that he doesn't have any delays nor does he have any medical issues related to toileting. She is concerned, but said his mother isn't, that he just ''isn't ready'' and that it's not a big deal. I've already texted the mom and asked her to call me as soon as she can.
You have the perfect out. They handed it to you on a silver platter. He has no delays, no medical issues, he's just not ready, and it's no big deal.

TAKE THE GIFT. BELIEVE his mother. She knows best!

Get out of it BEFORE he gets a diagnosis that will obligate you to not discriminate.

Just agree he is normal and he just isn't ready. Tell her you don't provide service to children who need diapering at his age. That level of contact is WAY too intimate for his age and your setting. It's way too much liability.

It's a child centered choice for him to choose diapers. It's a mothers right to honor his choice. Once she takes it out into the public, the choice won't be honoured. Too risky and WAY too much to ask another adult to honor.