View Single Post
daycare 07:48 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I have a four year old with some issues (seizure disorder, processing delays, extreme prematurity at birth). He's come a long way since being with me. He used to only play with a teacher or by himself,if he was corrected about anything at all, no matter how gently, he'd go into hysterics that included vomiting.

He doesn't do those things anymore and he's making great progress, but ALL he talks about are trains. If you start him talking about something else, he quickly switches back to trains, and then one train scenario in particular where he saw a train at his dad's job. He tells that story at least once a day.

He also almost exclusively plays trains. Of course he gravitates toward the actual train toys we have and would only play there if we let him. But for example in the Art center he connects all the markers to make a train. At meal times he makes a train with food.

This is not a huge deal but I want him to expand his interests and at least be able to have a conversation without switching back to trains. His parents are pretty much taking everything in stride and support his obsession . Any ideas on how I can stretch him a little without making him too uncomfortable?

And what it with trains anyway? Almost every special needs male child I've had has had an extreme attraction to trains. Is there something to this?
my youngest was like with hot wheels.

I used it in my favor.

can you count them, how many do you have.
what colors do you have
how many are red, green yellow, etc.
where are they driving to?
can you sort them by size? color, vehicle type.

where is the car driving to? who's going on the drive.

does your car have a name?

My son made up all kinds of stories with his cars and I played a huge roll in his interest. I couldn't force him to like something else. eventually he gave them up.