View Single Post
Blackcat31 04:15 PM 06-03-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
You may not refuse care for a child with a disability and you may not charge more for a child with a disability.

so the question is by law is diabetes a disability?

Ask Tom he would know the correct legal answer.
My DH has diabetes (Type 1) and he does NOT qualify for any type of special services and is not recognized as disabled by the ADA.

He takes several insulin shots per day along with the other things a diabetic must do but is in no way considered disabled or eligible to receive any type of payment or reimbursement from social security or any other type of monetary payments.

Same goes for my nephew (age 18) who has been type 1 since he was 6 and for my late BIL who passed away from complications of diabetes at 36 years old. He was on dialysis, had one leg amputated and was partially blind and recieved not one dime of any type of disability during his short life....despite applying several times in the later part of his life but he never qualified as disabled.

Like Former Teacher said, "It is not simply having diabetes that qualifies a person as being disabled, but how diabetes has impacted their life" http://www.isletsofhope.com/civil-ri...-disabled.html