View Single Post
Scout 11:27 AM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by care giver:
Hi, I have been on here before and posted about one of my DCG's having a fever in the am when she woke up,Mom said she thought it was from DCG covering herself up with her blanket in her crib.That is a bunch of you know what anyway, no one gets a temp of 102.5 from covering up with a blanket. Mom kept her home, but fever broke later that morning & Mom called and wanted to bring her over & I said no.
Anyway over the weekend DCG had a temp of 104.5, so they decided to take her into the DR.....finally. Dr said that there is a bug going around here that is a high fever bug and lasts for 5-6 days. Anyway Dr told these parents that he doesn't get to concerned about a child getting a high fever until it reaches 106 and that's when the brain starts shutting down functions. Now has anyone else heard that??? That to me is ridiculous, that is a temp that is way,way to high and for a Dr to say he is not to concerned about even a temp of 104,5 is unbelievable to me. These parents also didn't seem to concerned about the temp of 104.5 as they waited that long to take her in. Is it just me that thinks that a temp like that is too high or are parents not taking these things seriously.
Also same parents bring DCG here today with flip flops on, that are way too big and fall of her feet and Grandma is picking her up this am to take her to her gym class,....wrong shoes for a gym class!
Don't parents think before they dress and what kind of day they are going to have?
I just don't understand parents of today! Sorry to complain, but no one seems to use common sense anymore!
Yes, I have heard this twice in the past year. First time from the after hours nurse at my kids ped's office. She said that they do not do damage really until fever reaches 107! On July 4 I took my ds, just turned 2, to the ER with a fever of 105.5 and after his strep came back negative and they found nothing wrong with his lungs by listening, or with his ears we were sent on our way. The ER dr. told me to not worry about the fever until it reaches higher then as well. My kids always get high fevers around 104 with most viruses they catch. I panic! I agree with you that anything over 104 is super high and I need to see it go down immediately! At that point my thinking is only "what if it goes up". I have found that the supposotories work really quickly to bring these down. Only problem with them is that they are acetemetiphine(tylenol) and I prefer ibuprofin(advil) since it lasts longer and once I give the suppository I can not give anything else for another 4 hours! I almost always have to rotate both types of these meds every 4 hours until the viruses pass. I try to save the ibuprofen for the dose right before bed. I will continue to take them to the ER when they are higher than 104 though as it makes me feel better.