View Single Post
QualiTcare 04:46 AM 10-27-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
I am totally with janarae on this one. I am pro-bf'ing and moms are welcome to bf their children at my house as long as it is within their contracted times. I bf'd my own 2 kids and feedings can take anywhere from 15-30 minutes (or more). I would NOT want a mom arriving 30 mins before dropoff or staying 30 mins after pickup time to nurse. No way no how. When my kids were in daycare I would pick them up and nurse them in the car before heading home - even in winter.

I am fortunate enough to have a separate area for nursing if a mom needed to do so, but if I did not, I would NOT let a parent nurse in my bedroom or any of my family's private space for that matter. If you don't already have a rocking chair I wouldn't purchase one. I would offer up a space on the couch and she can cover with a blanket. You could give her a regular chair and face it toward a corner. If the mom needs complete privacy to nurse then she will have to go to her car.
i agree except i'd be a little weirded out to have to face a corner to bf! lol.
i used to do it in public - i remember one time doing it at wal mart on a bench (with a blanket draped so even if anyone did know, they couldn't see). i'd usually go to a restroom to get adjusted and then go from there. if i was at home and had company - or if my husband had friends over, i'd just walk into the other room and stand there with a blanket draped. i didn't care that they knew what i was doing, but you can still be discreet without "hiding." his friends would talk to me or he would say something as simple as "is she STILL eating?" i don't think anyone with half a brain is uncomfortable with BFing these days. if they are, maybe their mother didn't breastfeed!