View Single Post
Hunni Bee 04:33 PM 11-30-2011
My center belongs to a Baptist Church, so while we don't run a "religious" program, we are free to teach about and incorporate elements of God and spirituality in our curriculums.

I don't focus on any pagan or commercial "characters" associated with holidays...Santa, the Easter Bunny, leprechauns, Halloween. I don't discourage the children from talking about it or even talking to me about it, but I don't teach it, read books about or do activities on it.

My "Christmas" curriculum will focus on winter, giving/friendship/family, yuletide traditions and the Christian meaning of Christmas. I'm even going to stick some Kwanzaa in there.

I understand her rejection of Santa for her child. But that's my own personal opinion.

However, whatever activities/lessons you want to teach is your prerogative. You shouldn't have to change it to accommodate one child, especially one who has been with you several years, and whose parent knows what your curriculum is. She basically said to you "I demand special from you".

Its her responsibility to educate her child. She doesn't have to do Santa, but she can't tell you that you can't. I'd just tell her that the curriculum has already been planned out, and you'll TRY to provide him with alternative activities during the time you guys are doing Santa stuff.