View Single Post
Janet 11:47 AM 03-16-2010
I would pull him ASAP. I worked in a center where an incident involving sexual experimentation took place. It wasn't in my class, I was the toddler lead teacher. This happened in the preschool class. The problem was an ongoing one and the little girl wouldn't tell anyone what was happening. I doubt that she would have told anyone if I hadn't caught her and the little boy under a table getting ready to drop their pants and show their "butts" to each other. The other child involved was the same age as she was and they were both in the preschool/pre-k class. I just happened to be getting ready to go to lunch and I was passing the classroom and my gut told me to stop and take a quick peak in the room. The first thing I saw was the 2 kids under the table. I calmly asked them both to join me out in the hallway. The second thing I noticed is that there were no teachers in the classroom. I was like WTF!!! It was naptime and the teacher was in the director's office, just chatting and laughing (they are friends outside of work). The preschool class and the pre-k classes nap together so at any given time there would be at least 14 kids in the room with no supervision! I talked to the kids in the hall and we talked about keeping our hands to ourselves and keeping our clothes covering our bodies. I didn't want to freak out and yell at them because it wasn't their fault. They were just doing what curious kids do. I then sent them into the infant room because there were 2 teachers in there at the time and I went into the director's office and told her what happened. I took it very seriously and she shrugged it off. I was told not to tell anyone else what happened. I know that she just wanted to act like it didn't happen and I wasn't cool with that. I told the parents of the little girl and the little boy what happened and I told them that I would give them a written statement or anything else that they needed. The center got sued but I quit shortly after the naptime incident. Sorry to be so long winded but the gist is that your son's center sounds like they were intentionally trying to snow you. Bites like that are a big deal! Not just because it's a bite, but because of where the bite is. The little girl at the center that I worked at is in counseling on a regular basis and has horrible nightmares and lots of behavior issues. It's been about 4 years since it happened. Her mom told me about all of the other stuff that happened with her daughter and the little boy and I was horrified! She never blamed the other little boy or his parents. She put the blame where it belonged: on the daycare director and the teacher who was supposed to be in there for naptime. Sometimes daycare teachers and assistants think that it is OK to leave the class at naptime because they are sleeping, and they think that as long as they are in the building, that they are not out of ratio. Bullcrap. I have a home daycare and even when my kids are sleeping, I still always keep them where I can see them. It seems to me that a lot of centers will do whatever it takes to have their employees work as few hours as possible. They will send out most of their staff for lunch during naptime because they figure that the kids are sleeeping anyway, and if there is a problem, the director can always come in to cover, which at my center, she never did! Also, I think that sometimes when the teachers are friends with each other, they get a little too wrapped up in conversation with each other, and the kids get into tons of trouble! It was so bad that I started to clock out for my lunch but still be in a classroom during that time so that I could see for myself that everything was OK. Sorry this was so long, but I just wanted to chime in. I think that your son needs to be in a place that is going to be more closely monitored. OK, I can see bites happening. They happen no matter where you go at some point, but a bite on the penis? That's just insanity! There is no good explanation for that happening and it's even worse that they didn't call you immediately to let you know exactly what happened. If I were you, I would show the daycare director the pictures that you took and I would find a new daycare. I'm sorry that this is happening to your little guy and to your family, but honestly, if his center can't be truthful about something like that happening, how can you have faith that they won't let it happen again. Good luck.