View Single Post
Willow 12:23 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am the unregistered one above you, cradle 2 crayons
I actually have never been asked from a parent if I am licensed or not either. I guess when they come for the interview they feel comfortable enough to consider me.they maybe will tell me that they have a few other interviews to go to, but then they do call me back and tell me they want me to take their child,whether they have gone to licensed ones to check out or not. I did have a parent tell me that they had checked out a licensed daycare and would not even consider putting their child in that daycare home as it was very dirty, had too many kids and the house smelled.

Being licensed really does not offer me anything also. I do not like the food program they have, I think that it is not that nutritious and I like to fix many different things for the kids to eat.
I think you have a lot of misconceptions about licensed childcare in the state of MN and that's really too bad.

One licensed home that was "very dirty, had too many kids and the house smelled" doesn't mean by a long shot that's how they all are.

Furthermore, being licensed has nothing to do with offering YOU anything. It's about what it may be able to offer families looking for care in regards to some additional safeguards. Bottom line is, every single provider licensed in the state of MN has to have taken SIDS trainings, CPR and first aid courses, passed background checks (along with anyone else living in the home or even those who may just swing in for a visit now and again) and their homes inspected to make sure there aren't any structural issues that could make caring for children in the space dangerous.

Does that protect against everything that could go wrong when you leave your child in the care of a stranger? No. But it does mean the provider cared enough to jump through the hoops and there is a higher likelihood they have good intentions. It increases the odds that the person your child will be cared by will not hurt them or put them in a position to be hurt by someone or something else.

Nothing is 100% but it does reassure (at least on some level) every parent I've ever interviewed who all say they'd never leave their child with someone who hasn't found it worth it to offer them those additional securities.

As far as the food program goes I'm not sure what you're referring to? There is a multitude of food programs (plural) available and each licensed provider has the right to choose which ever one they want. There is nothing that says you have to feed the same foods over and over again, just nutritional guidelines to make sure children are being fed a balanced diet.