View Single Post
morgan24 04:19 AM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Agreed! I take my kids to an unlicensed person. First of all, daycare centers and licensed homes charge too much. Can't afford it. Second, the daycare centers I visited always seem to have the kids sleep long hours in the day or not to ensure my kids are eating appropriately or using the bathroom appropriately.

This lady cooks, cleans, makes sure my kids eat all their food, use the toilet on time to avoid constipation and UTI's, plays with them, has activities for them, and loves them. She only doesn't have a license because she doesn't want to have to be obligated to give medicines that she doesn't agree with (i.e. tylenol, cold medicines) but at the same time wants to be able to give medications in an emergency without all the "forms" (i.e. Epi pen or inhalers, etc). Bottom line? She's who is best for us and I respect her much more than the schools who would let a child die or suffer because of some stupid form (think: kid who got suspended for giving a friend his inhaler to save his life during an asthma attack or the teacher who got in trouble for administering another student's epi pen JR when she couldn't find the boy's rx she KNEW was on file (ALL SAME DOSES BTW) and saved HIS life.). Yeah, I'll go with the UNLICENSED one. And her home is just as safe, btw, so some people are like.pretty judgmental just because they just don't know what real life is
Sounds like a wonderful daycare lady, but does she realize the risk she is taking everyday. Depends where you are but in my state it is illegal to do daycare without being licensed, you can get fines. Not worth the risk to be unlicensed to me. There also isn't an insurance company that will insure you without being licensed. Having a signed form for medications is a form of protection for the provider in case something goes wrong, with children you never know. She also is at a risk if she is not paying taxes on her income, someday she may be dealing with the IRS.

I'm licensed to avoid getting a fine and to be able to make sure that I'm properly insured in the event of an accident. I have the signed medication form giving me written permission to give the required medicine, to protect ME. Being licensed has never made me give a medication that I did not agree with.

My example of unlicensed daycare in my area is, lady had 4 kids she was watching. An 8 year old boy was jumping on the trampoline and fell off and broke his leg and arm. Had she been licensed she wouldn't of had a trampoline they aren't allowed. She had no insurance, she has now lost her home and owes the family $60000.00 in medical and damages.