View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 09-01-2012
Originally Posted by Hopeless:
I was just falsely convicted today of shoplifting a $180.00 camera (misdemeanor). I chose to pay thousands of dollars in attorney fees to take it to court thinking that I had a good case, since I didn't do it. Long story short despite the fact that I never had the camera, & video evidence shows I never had the camera, I was convicted based on an empty box found in the bathroom trash after I took my 5 year old daughter into the restroom (at the same time as another mom & daughter & two other ladies).

Before my daughter was born, I used to teach preschool. I love kids! Really my life's passion!!! With our third on the way I was hoping to do some daycare or possibly early childhood education. I feel like such a burden on my family for wasting thousands of dollars to fight this case & I lost. (I chose not to take the plea, because I felt like it was important for me to stand up for myself and because I honestly didn't take the camera)

I'm worried I wont be able to do what I love or help provide for our kids. Is it correct that there is absolutely NOTHING I can do now? It will always be on my record?
And do I have any chance of ever working with kids again?
I am sorry that you are in such a tough position.

I think the answer to your question is dependent on what state you live in.

I know in my state, misdemeaner charges NOT relating to any type of drug charge or any type of violent crimes or related to children isn't something that would bar you from working with children or running an in home childcare. There may be conditions attached to the license but working with kids would still be a possibility.

If I were you I would check with your state's licensing department and see what things would bar you from working in a center or home child care. You can find information to you particular state's regulations and contact info here: https://www.daycare.com/states.html

You could also reply in a post what your state is and perhaps one of our board members who is familiar with your state rules and regs will have an answer for you.