View Single Post
Laurel 09:28 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
Ah, yes, plagiarism. Hmm. Maybe this is something along those lines. You are right. MarinaVenessa suggested that I keep a record of my ads and hers to prove she is copying me. I might just do that.
I think keeping a record of them is a great idea that MarinaVanessa had. I'm not so sure about the line about being a mentor and you can be copied but not imitated though. At first I thought it was a great idea and then I got to thinking about it. Couldn't she just copy that? No one knows who had the ideas first.

Maybe you could put something at the end of your ad like "Ask us about our special offer!" Then you could make up an offer. Maybe something like the last week of care is free if you've been with us a year or maybe one free parent's night out every 6 months or a free t-shirt with your childcare's name on it (double bonus with that one). I bet if you made up a logo for the shirt or your sign that may be able to be a copyrighted thing. Business names are copyrighted also as I looked that up once. I looked it up as my daughter and I were considering starting a side business.

When I was a child we had a neighbor that copied everything from my dad and the mom copied things my mom did. My dad was very handy and creative and finished our unfinished basement with built in seats/storage, etc. He also helped this guy and he did his basement the same. My dad didn't get upset though but, then again, it wasn't business related. My dad kind of thought of it as a challenge. He just enjoyed making things for the house and yard. So one day he was in our basement making bricks. Yes, his own bricks that were white. Then he imbedded some little tiles in them. His little wall thingy went around the bushes. I remember him saying "Now, let's see Len copy this!" Well Len never did.

Laurel

P.S. Oh and if you do a special offer of some sort I wouldn't tell anyone on the phone. Make it contingent with signing up. Once you have their deposit/paperwork or however you do it then tell them. It will probably drive your neighbor crazy!!!