View Single Post
Josiegirl 04:09 AM 05-05-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Agreed, though it would be age dependent for me. A 4 yo who was mid tantrum would be gone, regardless of if it was an accident or not. IME, 4 is too old to be acting that way.

I've said it before and I believe it - I think there is something fundamentally wrong with a child, especially one who is a bit "older" (3 1/2 +) who thinks it's okay or normal to smack their adult caregiver when they are upset. It tells me that something is so "off" with the child - either in their mind or their family life, that they think physical violence toward their caregiver is acceptable. In over 10 years of providing care and three years of being a preschool assistant, I've *never* been hit or kicked by a child. I refuse to act as if this is the "new normal."
While I do tend to agree with this for the most part, I'm also wondering how you would describe something as 'off' with the child? Just curious is all. The worst problems I have encountered are 2 sibs who seem to be soooo strong-willed. In my experience, they've been the most difficult to deal with and the most physical. It's a constant butting of heads. And I have to admit when my now 24 yo dd was 5 yo, she was just like this. Now she seems normal(whatever THAT is). But as far as anything being off(I'm assuming you're talking spectrums, etc.) I don't see that. These 2 will make wonderful CEO's someday when they get to actually boss people around. But for right now, being intelligent, extremely verbal, I only sense that their frustration with authority and being told what to do, runs deep. They do NOT like rules at my house. So they strike out and scream. I also see lack of self-control at times, which hopefully will come with maturity.