View Single Post
QualiTcare 10:55 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Same here; I guess that's why I'm not too stressed over this subject. If I don't get a discount a JoAnn, I'll just go to Michael's or Office Max where they do give me a teacher's discount.

Defining a what a 'teacher' is aside, I think JoAnn is missing a marketing opportunity. In this economic climate why wouldn't they want to get as many people in the door as possible?

Dcmom, I think it would be safe to assume that other retailers who have extended the discount to providers have the same policy as jo-ann's and the discretion is left up to the cashier or the person issuing the card. I say this bc I followed the links tom gives in his articles and saw several providers say they DO get a discount at jo-ann's even though according to the policy on their website, they shouldn't. Apparently the manager at the particular store this lady went to is a stickler and that's what the fuss is about. It wouldn"t surprise me one bit if instead of extending the policy to all providers, this heat didn't cause jo-ann's to send a memo to all the stores reminding them of the policy that states ONLY teachers be offered the discount. Give someone an inch, they take a mile. You have to be careful what you wish for.

On another note, if the line was extended officially to include providers, should it include unlicensed providers also? Afterall, they do the same job don't they?