Thread: Walnut Allergy
View Single Post
Childminder 07:17 PM 02-09-2011
My ex was allergic to walnuts and all tree nuts except almonds. Peanuts were not a problem cause they are a legume, a bean if you will. Almonds are from the same family as apricots, think of the pit, so was not an issue.

Ex had to stay away from fires, burning wood, watch out for slivers if handling lumber, sawdust - breathing and cutting wood, even paper cuts would cause a reaction and eating pesto(pine nuts).

He also was severely allergic to eggs, poultry and fish...so anything that swims or flies and and their by products like feather pillows or/and flu shots. Couldn't even cook fish or go into a restaurant that did. Either the vapors of it cooking or if he ate something that was cooked in the same grease or griddle could send him to the hospital.

Once he ate french fries at McD's and they had been cooked in the same grease as the fish fillets, he had a reaction. Ordered a Slim Jim from Big Boy w/o mayo and when it came with the mayo asked for a new one. They scraped it off and sent it back. If he had eaten it he would have had a reaction.

You're not interested in all this though. I just wanted to let you know that a child might not be allergic to something and be able to eat it or be around it for years. My son was fine until he was 3.5 and we had to make some fast changes. Change his diet; eggs, pickles, cheese and dried fruit had to go. The cat and dog - banished. He was in 5th grade when he had an allergic reaction that was so severe he was taken to the hospital. Turned out it was mango but we didn't know that until 25 years later and he ate some at a party.

There is so much more testing and medications than when my ex was little. He spent weeks at UofM medical trying to get him figured out. My son had testing and treatments that his dad never heard of and this little dcg of yours has many more resources to get her on the right track.