View Single Post
Countrygal 11:34 AM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Can you post the law or where the state says this is a requirement to enter kindergarten?

Does anyone in any state that has Kindergarten educational standards REQUIREMENTS for entry please post a link to the actual law or regulation.

I am absolutely SHOCKED to hear there are states REQUIRING it meaning if the child does not have these skills they can't go into kindergarten. That's what I'm after... showing what the law is and the consequence for the child's enrollment into public school if they don't have it.

Not private... just public school please.

I wonder when I read these kinds of posts if there isn't a possiblity that the state is saying this is what they WANT the kids to have but not that they MUST in order to attend kindergarten. In my state the state law REQUIRES allowance into kindergarten at age five (by september 15th of that school year) with absolutely NO......... none........... zero qualifiers except being born by that day and being at least five. If the child is six by sept fifteenth and they haven't been enrolled in school you are breaking the law. You have to enroll them in the school by this age or prove you are homeschooling them.

I can't imagine the lawsuits in my state if one of the schools didn't allow a child into kindy because the didn't have these skills. Even ONE of them being required would start lawsuits to the point the district would be bankrupt in a couple of years.

We have kids entering out schools who don't speak a word of english, aren't potty tranined, and have serious behavioral and mental health issues and they can't refuse them entry into kindergarten. Now they may end up in special classes or get a treatment plan for whatever they have issues with but if they aren't causing a harm to themselves or others they are in with NO prerequisites.
Nannyde, I know that as of a couple of years ago the list here in our state was what was the children SHOULD accomplish before entering K. I don't believe any school can deny admission based upon the fact that a child doesn't, for example, know how to count to 20. Basically, it is just a way to attempt to make formal education start earlier, IMO. I tried to find some specifics about it online for my state but could not. I think the lists even vary by school district here.......