View Single Post
GretasLittleFriends 12:41 PM 02-14-2012
I am the same way. We read, play, count, sing, talk about letters and their sounds, but it is all through a form of play. We do art projects, using markers/crayons/pencils, glue, scissors so they are getting those skills, just not specifically taught. I am not a teacher, I do not have a teaching or early childhood education degree. My contract specifically states:

Education & Early Learning
- This is not a pre-school, but, we do learn new things everyday. I believe young children learn best through play, not a structured school-like environment. They will get that soon enough when they enter the school system. However, I do believe it is important for children to have early pre-school knowledge prior to entering the school system. Therefore, we spend our days learning through play, artwork and books. We will learn among other things: our colors, numbers, shapes, our names, our ABC's and some basic handwriting skills, along with some important fine motor skills, which include the proper way to hold a pencil and cut with scissors, through age appropriate activities. Your child will not be pushed to do anything that he/she is not capable of doing, all children will learn these things at their own pace. Early learning should be a fun and enjoyable experience to help ensure a life long love of learning.