View Single Post
Baby Beluga 04:43 PM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Inhad a child who I felt was ASD and acted similar. Extremely lethargic here. Would go from standing to sitting in a "sinking down" motion with his legs. He would stand in one spot when outside, not moving. Once I brought him out into the hot sun with no hat to see if he would move and he just stood there. He would sometimes lie on the ground not moving.

I took videos to show his mom, she was shocked. Apparently at home he was a complete genius. I started feeling like I was insane! I terminated care because of that feeling and because I felt mom was in major denial.

From what I coukd gather from online research some children with autism become hypotonic or hypostimulated. They react to stimuli by shutting down. Sinking into the carpet, putting their head down....basically going catatonic in a sense. It might be what is happening here. The first redflag for me was when I blew bubbles and he just sat there letting them fall and pop on his face with no reaction. I had never seen a child at 18 months do that! Mom might be telling the truth. From what I had read children on the spectrum act that way with us because they are stressed and out of their comfort zone. It is why many parents stay in denial I think.
I tried bubbles today. He did sat in the grass and did nothing. My crew LOVES bubbles and goes wild for them.