View Single Post
Texasjeepgirl 10:32 AM 05-01-2012
I 100% agree with BLACKCAT... I didn't quote her...but there were several posts...
The FIRST one was word for word the thoughts that were developing in my mind...
I just don't ever judge parents on this issue...AT ALL...

I was married 15 years to my first husband...
We took a snow ski trip with another family... every year for 5 years... Our children were always with us... both families.. and it was a wonderful time.. CREATED THE BEST memories for myself.. my children...
I wouldn't take for those family vacations..
but.. When I divorced... and remarried...
My husband and I were both the 'visiting' parents...
My two girls lived a few blocks away.. with their daddy...
My husbands two daughters...and step daughter... lived with their mom..

What a life altering adjustment.. to be with my children only PART TIME...
But... My husband and I made a committment... to our girls...
We never missed a visitation weekend or holiday/summer visitation.. and when they were with us we spent that time as a family... we took a family trip to Hot Springs... 4 wheeling/camping trips with our jeep club to East Texas and Hot Springs... and in '08 we took our daughters on a 5 day cruise..

But...in our KID FREE TIME.... My husband and I have been on 3 cruises without the children .. '02...'05...'10 ...As well as trips to Colorado in '06... Cancun...'09
In a few weeks we are going on a 4 day trip to Cancun for a friends wedding.. we are taking my 17 year old daughter with us... 3 weeks later we leave for another 5 days...again.. Cancun.. and this time.. ALONE... ADULT ONLY ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT....

I think it is important for couples to spend ALONE TIME... otherwise.. you loose sight of your commitment to each other.. to your marriage... which leads to divorce...and ...destroys families... Every single second of every single day does not have to be all about the children...
You have no idea what they may do as a family on the weekends.. long holidays... evenings...
The hour routine of bath and reading a book can be some of the most quality time a parent can spend with their small child... and frankly.. I've seen some fabulous vacations ruined by cranky fussy.. overstimulated short folks...

I have a sister that is one of those parents that NEVER EVER EVER leaves her kids for vacations...She and her husband have NOT EVER taken a trip together ALONE... and.. to save money of course they are always in one room... AS A RESULT... their marriage is a disaster.. the husband is sullen.. it's a mess...and frankly I think it would help if they had taken one of those couple vacations...and left the boys with granny...or a LOVING AUNT like me... but she is one of those moms that thinks she just can't be away from them... they might suffer...or be sad....
What about the wonderful time the kids might be having on their visit to grandma's house... ? That is special .. quality time that all children need also...