View Single Post
CityGarden 12:07 PM 04-05-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
When I found out how much daycare costs, I contacted my local representatives. Something needs to be done to offset the costs. My husband and I can't afford to eat!!! We make a little bit too much money to qualify for the subsidy in my area. We are screwed.
I hope you don't take the comments in this thread as an attack on you personally. There are several reasons I have an only child and cost is one of them, should I decide to have more children my future husband and I would need to be in the financial position for me to either home school (and not work because I personally cannot do both) or be in the financial position to educate and provide care for that child to my standards.

I tell people of child-rearing age all the time that the cost of educating and providing childcare for children is the biggest birth control pill ever.

Childcare for children under two is very limited almost everywhere due to ratio requirements and very expensive. So expensive in fact, that I opted to stay home and find freelance work becoming a WAHM from the time my child was born until - she was school age.

Childcare / Preschool for children 2-5 is expensive as well and wait list are long get on the list for both infant care and preschool as early as possible.

Then your child hits school age and you expect cost to decrease but many (if not most) of the highest ranking public schools are in high COL areas so you are paying in taxes.
Alternatively you can opt for private school (I noted the cost in my area above) or religious schools that often do all the same fundraising (with the exception of the tax increase) and more!

None of this factors in after-school care or all the days off the school has, Thanksgiving Break (1 week), Winter Break (2 weeks), Spring Break (1 week) and Summer Break (8-10 weeks)

Maybe somehow college gets cheaper, LOL! Not really because the parents income is still factored into what they can qualify for aid wise.

Children are expensive..... hermit crabs are not, plan accordingly.