View Single Post
Willow 08:56 AM 09-27-2013
We live on near 50 acres out in the country. The property was clear cut long ago for farming but when hubs built the house he started restoring it. Since then, and the three years I've been around we've planted many thousands of trees, dug out the three ponds (and plan to do that again in the next few years), planted large chunks to CRP to restore native prairie grass habitat as well as farm food plots for wildlife (helps our hunting but also supports local deer populations through tough winters. We have an ENORMOUS garden the kids help me plant in indoor greenhouse in early spring, plant outdoors in late spring, weed throughout summer, harvest, prep, and eat.

That passion for nature is a HUGE part of my "program." Weather permitting we get outside for nature walks and exploring daily. I believe with all my heart that kids need to get back to the very basics if at all possible and those that do are blessed for having the opportunity.

Best opportunity to date, they got to watch a doe give birth to a fawn just off the backyard. I never thought I'd ever see anything like that but to watch the kids all marvel at the sight brought tears to my eyes.....

The planet needs kids who grow up with that awareness, respect and joy.