View Single Post
Crystal 06:42 PM 05-29-2010
[quote=professionalmom;30545] First, what on Earth is "distraction" or "redirection" supposed to do? It does not do anything to teach the child what (s)he did that was inappropriate or what the appropriate reaction or response would be. Let's call it what it is - Ignoring the behavior. Plus, how do you "right" the wrong when the "wrong" involved is that another child was hit? Ignore the behavior and redirect the wrong-doer? What does that teach the victim? That bad behavior gets a new, more interesting toy? [quote]

When redirection is used correctly, it is a very effective tool in guiding children's behavior. You don't just tell a child to go do something else.....you get down to their level, tell them what they are doing is wrong, tell them why it is wrong and why you cannot and will not allow them to do it, and they have a choice: go do A or B or You need to A to move on to B. End of discussion. It DOES work, I use it all the time and I have a wonderful group of children who I truly enjoy spending my days with because they do not have lots of behavior problems.

I am not saying that there shouldn't be other methods of discipline, and I honestly feel to each parent his own - I would never judge a parent that chooses to use more traditional methods of discipline - but as a Child care Provider, who doesn't have the option of more strict methods, giving redirection a chance to work is an option.