View Single Post
professionalmom 08:50 PM 05-29-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
When redirection is used correctly, it is a very effective tool in guiding children's behavior. You don't just tell a child to go do something else.....you get down to their level, tell them what they are doing is wrong, tell them why it is wrong and why you cannot and will not allow them to do it, and they have a choice: go do A or B or You need to A to move on to B. End of discussion. It DOES work, I use it all the time and I have a wonderful group of children who I truly enjoy spending my days with because they do not have lots of behavior problems.

I am not saying that there shouldn't be other methods of discipline, and I honestly feel to each parent his own - I would never judge a parent that chooses to use more traditional methods of discipline - but as a Child care Provider, who doesn't have the option of more strict methods, giving redirection a chance to work is an option.
If this works for you and your set of children, then great. However, I have tried this exactly the way you described and they often look at me like I'm an idiot. I can see how this would work for children 3 and up, or possibly for some 2 year olds. However, when we are talking 12-18 month old toddlers, they do not understand. Yet this is the main method given for this age group. Don't get me wrong. I do not use physical punishment. However, I do believe that different children need different methods of discipline. Even the same child may need different methods at different times and for different offenses.

If you look at different topics throughout history, society tends to spot an error and tries to correct it, but ends up over correcting it. The pendulum is constantly swaying from one extreme to another, always trying to find that happy medium. For child discipline, it was once too harsh and even abusive. Now we are so lenient, we are seeing that too creates problems. There has to be some middle ground somewhere.

Also, with the OP and her situation, from what I understood, she has tried all of these "alternative" techniques that are most common and it has not worked with this particular group. I'm sure she feels like she's is fighting a losing battle and the kids are completely out of control. I wish she had more options. But with all the laws and regulations, our (and her) hands are tied. Some people even think a firm tone is mentally abusive. Heaven forbid you raise your voice so you can be heard over the chaotic noise.

We need options for those children that are more strong-willed, for whom redirection and time-out does not work.