View Single Post
Daycare Mommy 01:46 AM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Actually, I'm not at a center. I'm an assistant at a large home daycare (allowed to have up to 16 children). The owner and I work together with the children and their discipline, activities, etc.
What does the owner say to all this then? Is she okay with what's going on? Is she reading these posts or are you at least conveying them to her?

You guys seriously need to start calling some parents on the older kids when they are out of control (5 yo refusing to do timeout kicking and hitting you is NOT ACCEPTABLE!). I just termed one of those myself. I'm 99% sure he was special needs of some kind, but the parents wouldn't tell me ANYTHING about his behavior, daycare history, or help me in any way to deal with his very big issues. It is completely ridiculous for anyone (boss or parents) to expect you to work under those conditions. If the parents don't or won't help they get termed fast. Just like the kids, the parents need consequences too sometimes.

Again, can you get an extra staff member temporarily? Maybe a family member of you or the boss, just to come in to keep your ratio in place so one of you can effectively deal with the discipline issues when they come up?

If your boss is fine with the behavior or won't do anything to fix it, I'd find a new job asap.