View Single Post
Laurel 04:09 AM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by care giver:
I am older also and remember many of those things!

Remember with the cloth diapers you had to fold them a certain way to put them on and use diaper pins? Those big huge colored pins!

Remember the plastic or rubber pants to use over the diapers.

Pack & plays were called Play Pens and people would use them more back then for baby to play in. Now parents won't use them because they feel like baby needs to be free to Rome and I myself believe too many kids Rome to much and are not watched enough and that is why so many kids get hurt unnecessarily.

Remember the walker that was the cloth seats and had the wheels on them that the child had to push around in with their feet to get the hang of walking.

Remember when your child first was learning to walk, you put "walker shoes" on. The white hard leather ones, usually was made by stride rite that had a lot of support for their feet. Now they say to put tennis shoes on them or let them go barefoot to learn to walk.

Remember tie shoes, there was no such thing as Velcro for shoes, you actually had to tie them.

Remember when you could put juice in their bottle or even use "kool aid" and it was okay. Heaven forbid giving your child any kind of juice or use kool aid today. Remember when giving them a piece of candy or a cookie was a treat,now it is like it is a big sin to even let them have a cookie or even a piece of chocolate.

Remember letting your kids go out in the neighborhood for Halloween and get a huge pillow case of candy and actually letting them eat the candy. Using the plastic character masks for a costume and they were happy, now you have to have a whole outfit for them or they are not happy.

Times sure have changed and I think kids today have been really missing out on a lot of fun traditions that for us older ones, were such a special part of our lives.

Well, even playing outside with other kids and playing games like,well if any of you remember these games, but like "kick the can", capture the flag,red red robin and we would even give little plays and have little carnivals for the neighborhood people,now it is computer games,cell phone talk,ipads and those other electronic games. Remember being able to ride your bike around the block or roller skating around the block with those skates that had a key on them. I could go on, but will stop here.
Oh my gosh I remember it all! I was just looking for a 'playpen' like the good old days and they still sell them. I was surprised. I didn't think they did. I was considering it as my 'older' provider friend has one. They are square so you don't feel like they are just sitting in their bed. I'm not buying one because as I recall you had to put them in there before they knew they could roam around on the floor and mine already roams and will crawl soon. There is plenty of room in hers and it is safer especially if you are doing childcare.

Oh those hard white shoes. I remember! They were so expensive and you had to get several pairs as they would outgrow them so fast and you actually had to go to the shoe store and have your child fitted for shoes. No grabbing them off the rack at Target.

Oh I sooo loved having carnivals! We used to have 'rummage sales' too and one summer we took the money ($8.35) and sent it to an orphanage. They sent us a nice letter back and said they would use it buy candy for the holidays (Valentine's Day) for their children and asked us to visit anytime. So, of course, we did and baked cupcakes to take. On a serious note, that is something I will never, ever forget. We stayed a while, had a tour, played a ball game in their gym with them but it will be forever etched in my memory....the sadness of not having a real family and home. The little rows of bathtubs, etc. An institution to live in. Sad.

Laurel