View Single Post
Laurel 07:01 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
I remember everything being closed on Sundays. You could only get essentials like milk and that was if you could find a place open! And heaven forbid the liquor store was open!

I remember the towns 5 & 10 store where I could to smell roasted peanuts and things actually were sold for 5 cents!

I remember only having like 6 channels and sometimes they got static and you had to move the antenna!

I remember Saturday afternoons was the old 'scary' movies like Japanese black and whites and Sunday I would watch old time black and white movies/shows like Lucy and Blondie and Dagwood. When I was younger I remember rushing to get my bath so I could watch Disney on Sunday night. Not the Disney channel but Disney the show.

No AC and laying in bed at night with the fan on and listening to the crickets.

Pantyhose!! Better yet....putting on pantyhose with no AC

Instead of soccer teams, lessons and afterschool activities you actually just played outside with friends!
Oh yes, no AC. I remember wearing shortie pj's at night and lying there with a fan in the window. Oh yes, and just try to put on pantyhose with no AC. That was rough.

Oh and remember Easter hats? It seems such a shame that Easter hats are a rarity nowadays. I loved my Easter hats.

I also think children played outside more because it was just as hot inside as it was outside....or almost. I can see why kids nowadays would want to stay inside... AC!

Laurel