View Single Post
Soccermom 09:25 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
I'm so annoyed when parents forget to bring a check on Fridays!! I try to help them remember by emailing weekly statements. Don't get me wrong, I've had parents that have been really good at always bringing a check, but then there are those that can't seem to ever remember... so then they end up paying me on Monday (if they remember!).

I know I'm too nice.. I just feel weird saying "Umm.. did you bring a check?" How do you handle late payments? Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this??
I know right!! Imagine if their boss *forgot* to pay them!

I have hooks in my entrance that have each DCK's name on them. Above each hook there is a little envelope and every Friday morning I place a Bright Pink Sticky Note that says Pay Day on the envelope because I had soooo many DCPS forget to pay all the time. One week no one paid me! I was so mad and too awkward about asking for my money. Getting paid by DCPS is always so weird anyway. They are never quite sure how to hand it to you....it is strange. Just hand me the cash and take your kid...it is not rocket science!

Each DCP is now required to place the pink sticky along with the money inside the envelope at pick up on friday. That way I don't have to say did you bring my money? If the sticky note stays there after they have left on Friday I remove it and place it on a 10$ late fee invoice. I just hand it to them on Monday morning when they arrive.

Sometimes they will see the sticky note and say - Oh no! I forgot my purse, wallet, checkbook, to stop at the bank machine or my husband was supposed to pick up, the money is sitting on the counter....blah blah blah! I just say the envelopes stay hung up until 6h30 PM (I close at 5H15) so you still have time to avoid a late fee

My contract states that there is a max 5 day late charge at 5$ per day and after 5 days childcare will be suspended until payment is received in full along with the 25$ late charge.

The payment envelopes just make my life sooooo much easier. I have only had to hand out late charges twice in 6 months. Before, people just paid me when they felt like it.