View Single Post
blandino 08:33 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
This is a much better approach. I am not sure if the above posters meant what that sounded like, but to walk away and let a young (under a year) baby cry for 1.5 to 2 hours??!! I hope no one is really doing that. As a parent I would be furious to find out a provider was letting my little baby cry for 2 hours.
I don't think that is what they meant at all. Or at least what I was thinking. The nap would be 1.5- 2 hours long, but I don't think any child would cry for that long (nor would any provider let them). There would be something else the child needs if they are crying for 30+ min (IMHO). I think they are saying to get the babies on a sleep schedule, you just start doing it - and eventually they catch on. But as long as the sleep schedule is reasonable, the children should be tired around those times and therefore should fall asleep shortly after lying them down IME.

My children are on a similar sleep schedule to the ones mentioned here, and we implemented it by laying them down and x time each day, and turning on the lights at x time. They might have cried for maybe 10 min the first day, and after a week, they were down to minimal fussing before they fall asleep.

If a baby is persistent and crying longer than say 15-20 min, we reevaluate anything that they could be wanting, most of the time it is an off schedule bottle (we give bottles to anyone who is close to needing one before nap time) - we give the bottle and typically then they fall asleep.