View Single Post
Heidi 06:04 AM 02-26-2013
ok...NO, I did not mean let them cry for 1.5-2 hours.

I meant put them in bed and if they fuss for a few minutes, that ok. I'm thinking after 5-7 minutes, they'll be out. If they wake up after 15 minutes, that's not even one sleep cycle, so then I would let them fuss again for a few minutes. I would let them do this on-and-off thing for a morning nap of 45min-1 hour, and then for an afternoon nap of 1 1/2-2 hours.

I've had babies come here that are terrible sleepers and miserable awake because they are tired. Usually, in a week or so they get the routine if I'm consistent, and instead of screaming when they go to sleep, they snuggle in and wake up happy.

But, I am really, really consistent about it (and only if they are developmentally ready, which varies, usually 6-8 months). They know we eat (breakfast or lunch), they get a fresh diaper, I sing a little lullaby, I give them hugs and kisses and I Love you's, and then I tuck them in and walk away. When nap time is over, I come in...bright smile.."nap time is over" "did you have a nice nap?" "ok, now lets go play"

I tell you, honestly that by the end of a week or two at most, I have them convinced they love napping!