Thread: Red Flags
View Single Post
childcaremom 03:10 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
For all you experienced daycare providers, what do you consider to be red flags when meeting with a family for the first time?

I'm meeting with a family tomorrow, and I feel like there is already a couple red flags just from our conversation, but I want to give her the benefit of the doubt and meet with them anyways.
Red flags prior to interview are asking for discounts, asking what happens if they are late, asking how much time I take off (I only take families who have a back up provider or family), bad mouthing previous providers.

During the interview, I go over my policies in full and am very clear on my expectations. I gauge their reactions to my policies and listen to what questions they are asking. Sometimes they are clarifying, sometimes it feels like they are looking for a loop hole. I make notes right after the interview so I can refer back.

I watch how they are with their child and how they interact together. What are the parental expectations? How does the child react to these expectations? I know that some children will act one way with parents and another with me however it has been my experience that what I see is what I get.

I ask what they are looking for in a group care setting? What are their concerns? Are their expectations realistic?

Are they on time? Late. Forget it. I won't sign them.

Are they polite and let me talk? I have had some parents try to run the interview and for me that is a red flag.

Do they have a back up plan? What is their plan for when their child gets sick? No back up plan means I won't sign them.

I ask a lot of questions about nap time and their home routine. What are they doing to help prepare their child for group care? What is going on that will make for a difficult transition? When I suggest ways to help with the transition, what is their response?

If they are coming from another provider, I ask for specifics on why they are leaving. If it is due to being termed, I want to know why. If it is because they are unhappy, I want to make sure that I can accomodate their expectations. If not, they won't be a good fit here, either.

I make notes at the end of the interview so I can refer back. This is especially useful if I have more than one interview that day. I've also learned to listen to my gut and take 24 hours minimum before making a decision one way or another.