View Single Post
Mike 07:25 PM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
this thread makes me truly appreciate where I live.
I couldn't imagine a knock causing so much fear.

If that truly is the atmosphere where you (general you) all live that makes me sad. I love my community and while we definitely have our fair share of crime it's still a wonderfully safe and caring community.

People still help neighbors for free, people are friendly and kind. Strangers still say wave or say hello when passing on sidewalks, drivers still pause and let someone in when traffic is backed up, people are basically helpful, friendly and caring.

The other day, the wind was so bad here that my garbage cans blew over~ an elderly man that walks by every morning with his poodle stopped and righted it, chased the lid down the alley and returned it all to the stand as it was and then continued on his way. I don't know him other than I see him in the neighborhood everyday.

My neighbor had foot surgery a few weeks ago...her grandson has been coming over to shovel. Last weekend he brought a couple friends (middle school age) and those 3 boys shoveled sidewalks all around the neighborhood without being asked, again for free.

I have a hundred stories like that. I see that type of thing happening here everyday.

It saddens me to see so many that are fearful in their own homes. I understand and realize for many it's because you have other people's children in care and I understand that's the way it might be where you live but I am really grateful that it isn't like that where I live.

Minnesota Nice I guess...
Eastern Ontario vs out East or West (Atlantic provinces or prairie provinces)

Ariana's neighbourhood = Eastern Ontario
BC's neighbourhood = Atlantic or prairie provinces

Some examples...

I lived in Alberta for a year and found the following:
Heavy traffic - max of 3 or 4 cars go by before someone lets you in
Stop on side of road with hood up waiting for tow truck - max of 5 minutes before someone stops and asks if I need help
Go to checkout with 2 items and line in front with bunch of stuff - I had 3 people in a row let me go in front of them
You're out shovelling snow - somebody comes and helps, and doesn't take money you offer them

I've been told it's the same pretty much all over the Atlantic or prairie provinces.

Eastern Ontario area:
Heavy traffic - I've had to wait 15 minutes to get in
Stop on side of road with hood up waiting for tow truck - I've waited an hour for a tow truck and you'd be lucky if 1 person asked, and even cops just drive on by
Go to checkout with 2 items and line in front with bunch of stuff - Someone else will try to butt in front of you
You're out shovelling snow - you could be laying on the ground from slipping on an ice patch and people will walk by

Once in a blue moon there will be a nice person, but we don't get that many blue moons.

It's actually shocking how much difference there can be in different communities.