View Single Post
Meeko 10:03 AM 06-24-2011
Hmmm...where to start. First off....I wish there were more men involved in child care. Kids need men as well as women in their lives.

Upside......When I first opened my day care home, my husband was my helper and now my 26 year old son is. Both wonderful with children and a great role model for the kids in our care who have single moms and no dad in their lives. The moms LOVE having some positive men in their kids lives.

Down side..........I have got calls from women who were all excited about my day care until they found out a man worked here. For some reason in some women's minds "male wanting to work with children = automatic pervert". It's stupid...but it's a reality.

You have a great idea...but will have to do a lot of research before you put down any money.

Also......hate to say it....but many single mothers are welfare recipients. And that sadly often translates into dreadful clients. Not always....but a LOT. All of my worst clients over the past 25 years have been subsidy parents. I have had WONDERFUL clients who are single mothers and on welfare.....but much the minority.

Many BECAME single mothers DUE to lack of responsibility and that mind set carries over to all aspects of their lives.....including paying you/getting their state paperwork done so you can be paid, following rules etc.

Do LOTS of homework before entering into your venture.

I would start with day care at home. Despite some people thinking it was weird...many years ago, one of the best day care providers we ever had on our air force base was a man! His wife was a higher rank and when re-enlistment decisions came up, it just seemed sensible that he be the stay at home parent with their kids. He started a day care to supplement their income and keep him busy. He was FANTASTIC! He was slow to get a full enrollment at first as people were wary...but he soon had a huge waiting list! Us girls had to work hard to keep up with his wonderful reputation!

Good luck with your decisions!