View Single Post
Blackcat31 09:26 AM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have never read a study that did account for it. I would be interested to see if economic status affected expulsion rates more than race or even gender.

Where my mom teaches is similar to what you're saying. It's a primarily white community, over 80% below the poverty level, lots of heroin and meth. Something close to half of the students in her school receive some level of additional intervention, behavioral or academic. There are so many expulsions in our county, that several school districts got together and organized a special program for these students to continue attending school. All are bused to a different district and attend a program for at risk youth. It goes from UPK-12th now, too. I wonder if I could find demographic information for the program. There are so many factors at play with education and behavior, that I think it's impossible to attribute to any one issue, but I know it starts in the home.
This is a topic of discussion/concern in my area.
But not necessarily expulsion rates but absenteeism.

Race and poverty is being discussed in regards to whether or not they impact chronic absenteeism.

Well off parts of the community in comparison to the poor areas is also discussed...

Of course, the automatic solution is money.
The poorer districts and those with the most diversity are calling for more funding to address this issue and stop kids from chronic absences.

But no one will point out that the chronic absenteeism is happening the same in both the poor and better off areas.

Also I am not understanding HOW exactly will fix this?