View Single Post
spud912 01:50 PM 01-08-2013
If there are a few things I learned in my life, they are:

When I was a healthyteenager, I had a horrible case of the flu in the middle of summer. I was completely bed-ridden for 5 days, could not eat or drink, ended up on IV fluids in the emergency room, battling a fever of 104/105. During these 5 days, there were times in which I was actually delirious and hallucinating, there were times that I violently shook with shivers, there were times that I was soaked in sweat. I was very active at the time and ate extremely well (so health was not a concern). I also had not been ill in 8 years with anything significant at all.

The next time I fell ill (mind you, 9 years later), I ended up being hospitalized and lost 20 pounds in a matter of one month (and I was a healthy weight before so by the time I started recuperating I was underweight). It took MONTHS to fully recover from that one! It started with strep throat, which resulted in a lower immunity. Next thing I knew, I had mono, valley fever and several other minor illnesses (sinusitis and gastritis). I was completely bed ridden for a month and had a very hard time getting back on my feet.

Also, who knew that a very minor cold would have caused my odd to end up in a life-threatening condition? Her cold developed into an ear infection. Well, unbeknownst to us, she was severely allergic to the antibiotics she was given and we ended up in the hospital multiple times. She was swollen and covered in welts for weeks!

Needless to say, I take medical advice seriously and try to take any recommended precautions to minimize any serious repercussions. You really never know what hand you will be given in life (despite how healthy you have been for the past decade(s)).