View Single Post
Laurel 08:40 AM 05-04-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't do Number/Letter/Shape of the Week, I incorporate those things naturally as they come up in our everyday play.

Generally the children start by learning the first letter of their name, then the first letters of their friend's names. Little by little they learn the other letters in their name and their friends' names. As they grow more interested in letters and reading I introduce environmental words - STOP on the stop sign, IN, OUT, etc.

Colors and shapes start very early - "Look, you have a red block" "Can you put the circle in the hole?"

Numbers start early too - we count lots of things throughout the day, read number books, and play matching games to help with number recognition.
I don't do a curriculum at all. I do what you do. All of my children are well prepared for kindergarten.

I try to also have times so they can have solitude. Mostly in the stroller. Sometimes I talk and point out things and sometimes we all just quietly enjoy the view, the weather, etc. I want them to enjoy life. They'll have plenty of time for school later.

That may sound contradictory but I had an example in this one dcm I had. She was constantly 'teaching' her child something. I felt like saying "Be quiet and let the child think." It gave ME a headache to hear her. I felt kinda sorry for the child sometimes.

Laurel