View Single Post
Angelsj 11:11 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I also struggle with the fact that I am 12 credits shy of graduating with my Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education and I have to say I am having alot of internal conflict about some of the things they are teaching now days. I agree whole heartedly with the knowledge I have gained about cognitive and physical development...it is some of the methods they are teaching in other areas that I am having issues with. Like the whole necessity of a full 'school' curriculum for toddler's and pre-schoolers.....(this is kind of like the thread that got heated a while back about the actual long term benefits of schooling the under 5's group.)
I am finding myself concerned for the same reason. I have only three credits left (an internship class) and looking at the requirements for that, I am a little concerned. It really does seem they are pushing curriculum for younger and younger kids. Between that and the new "Parent aware" stuff, I feel like I am being pressed to do "something" even with the tiniest.

That has never been me. I let them help cook, teach them to put on their shoes, turn the underwear right side out, and be nice to their friends. I let them smell the spices and taste the pickle juice and use the colored chalk to paint their friends face (assuming it is ok with the friend.)
They leave here exhausted and smiling and "played hard" dirty, and return clean and ready to go with play clothes.
I am with you all the way, but I do feel some concern that we are a dying breed (though this thread gives me hope.)