View Single Post
LysesKids 11:32 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I actually address this line of thinking during the interview and in my handbook.

Its actually pretty common for parents to view you as an employee.
Doesn't make it right but it is still common thinking as anyone that pays for a service feels they can or should have some sort of control over those services and in a way they sort of do. The choices they have however are definitely not the same choices I feel they have but still every consumer has a choice.

The only control y clients have in regards to services is whether they choose to purchase those services I offer or not. That is the only choice they have.

Parents, however view the choices they have in much broader terms and feel they should be able to dictate hours, attendance, meals, napping and curriculum policies.

Since I "KNOW" a lot of prospective clients come to the interview with that train of thought, I make sure to address it clearly and thoroughly during the interview process. When BOTH parties (the parent and provider) fully understand what each party is bringing to the agreement, it definitely helps keep the relationship in working order.

The wording in my handbook says this:

"Please remember that I, as a child care provider, own my business and offer services for a fee. I am not an employee of any entity, company, licensing agency or client. I set my own guidelines, policies and decide which services to offer.

You, as the parent, must decide if the services I offer meet your needs."

~HTH
My handbook states it this way...

I am a professional Child Care Provider ... I am also a small business.
I am not a Babysitter, your personal Nanny or your Employee and
as such I expect my clients to show respect for my home, myself and my family.