View Single Post
KTsKids 08:25 PM 02-25-2018
I've actually been providing overnight care for about 7 years now. One thing I can say is that, at least in my area, it is in super high demand. I'm in metro Atlanta and there are very few options for overnight care, and because I live by a large hospital I always have a wait list.

Because options are so limited the parents seeking overnights seem to actually be less picky, for lack of a better word, than my daytime parents. I always make sure to show them my and my husbands background checks as well as my CPR and other certifications. I am an EMT as well as licensed but if that isn't necessary in your state be prepared to explain that. It may not hurt to print a copy of the regs for your state showing you don't have licensing as an option.

I've found the biggest concern the new overnight parents have is where their child will sleep and how early they have to pick up in the morning. Make sure you have times for pickup in advance and stick to it! I've had families try to talk me into allowing drop offs and/or pick ups in the middle of the night, like 2 or 3 am. I've had other crazy requests, such as parents wanting me to let their infants sllep in bed with my husband and me, or letting their toddlers stay up until midnight because that's what they do at home. Make sure to be clear upfront about how your bedtime routine works.

Good luck! I personally love doing overnights. I do have some long nights but for the most part I'm getting paid while they sleep.