View Single Post
mommyneedsadayoff 04:43 AM 07-20-2018
Originally Posted by Winker:
Background: I watch two children from the same family. Father is a pilot. My schedules varies month to month (some weeks two day and some weeks three or four days) and if they take time off I do not get paid and if I take off I do not get paid. Typically they either have a grandparent visit and kerp kids home and take several vacation weeks in addition. I have no contract. This is the only time I have been a provider for any family.

The pilot father broke his wrist this week and now the mom has told me that he will be out of work the rest of this month and all of next month. We do have the agreement that if they give me the schedule each month, they are expected to pay me for those days no matter what. Mom has said that they will jot be paying me for the remaining days of tjis month that are on the schedule and will not bring them any days next month. I asked if she would consider giving me two days a week guaranteed for the next month since the father will get disability for his time off but mom said no because he wants to travel around during his time off and visit family and take the kids to water parks and activities while he is gone.

Not knowing when henwill go back to work exactly and really disappointed that they don't at least pay me for the agreed days this month not to mention that I feel it is not right to just casually have me sit and wait until they come back.
I need the money and do not want to burn any bridges, but I'm not sure what to do.

My fault for no contract but because this sort of fell into my lap (someone knew someone sort of situation) after a job loss from a place I worked many years at I just casually started in with this family.

I know anything goes and no one is obligated to anyone but I am sort of surprised that they are so casual about the whole thing especially since he will get partial pay.
I'm surprised you still work with them at all. I wouldnt be able to afford such an unstable schedule unless I was paid a set rate each week whether they came or not. I dont think the parents find their behavior wrong bc it's the agreement they'd always had...they used you when they need you and now they dont need you, so they see nothing wrong with not paying.. You being available and acceptable with that is the only way to end this. Find a new family who needs you on a stable schedule and set a contract that includes set pay, regardless of attendance.