View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 02:26 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I did it for about 11 years and liked it. Ages 6-12. I did it for about 7 years before I had my kids and continued while they were infants/toddlers. I did not, however, mix the age groups and my own were never part of the daycare. My husband (3 days) or a grandparent (2 days) was with our kids when I had the big kids.

Before I had my kids, I would load up the big kids and go to the state park (3 minutes away) every day during summer for swimming, basketball, tennis and skating to wear them out. The pavilion had a water fountain, snack bar and a bathroom. We also walked to the public library once per week.

During the school year I gave them breakfast before the bus arrived. Then, I gave them a heavy afterschool snack (small meal) and we went out for kickball, badminton, cornhole or an afternoon movie (rain). They had the option of doing homework in the dining room, but most went outside to play. Homework help was on the parents. Parent is a verb. (access to personal video games and computers were not really a thing. I did not have internet, then. Dial up was not worth it. Movies were on VHS checked out from the library. No cable tv.)

Once our kids started homeschooling I transitioned to infant only, then slowly to a mixed aged group birth-6. My husband homeschooled 3 days (science, math, history) I did 2 (language arts, writing).

It was the only way I could figure out to make it work with our parenting goals.