View Single Post
Pandaluver21 08:01 AM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It sounds like you are already on the right track. I'd suspect she is spoken to more than with at home and is just catching up.
That is definitely it. From what I've seen she is the "little princess" and has two significantly older brothers at home.

Originally Posted by Gemma:
Unfortunately, I see it often in new enrollments
That's what I assumed it was at first, but her lack of speech at this point just concerns me

Over the last 13 or so years, I've seen many kids come in with "little sister/brother syndrome" But all of them have blossomed out of that within a few months. We had one little girl that definitely had little sister syndrome, and did improve greatly... however her speech also seemed somewhat delayed and we discovered she had Auditory Processing Disorder (then ended up THRIVING with sign language!)
I am not one that is "quick to diagnose" but if there is something speech therapy would help, I know it's best to get her in right away. I have worked with various "special needs" kids and this little girl doesn't really fit into any of those, it really does seem to be just her speech and everyone doing everything for her Teaching her to be independent I can deal with, but I don't feel I can give her the one-on-one a speech therapist could...

I guess we'll just keep an eye on it and see where it goes. Some times I just feel so bad for these kids. She could be so much more!