View Single Post
childcaremom 04:05 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I could have typed this. I have the same expectations, college town, half my clients are professors (one is the dean of a 4 year school). I would not be able to maintain enrollment if I DIDN'T do the things I do. I also feel like with kindergarten being the new 1st grade, there is no leeway in that catch up time. If a child isn't fully prepared entering K, they just fall further and further behind. I have a hard enough time getting parents past the 'play based' portion, and I have had clients look over lesson plans and photos and I have to use wolf language (ooey gooey lady) and point out the learning. Most of the professors get it, thankfully.

I think this is a really interesting area of discussion.

How 'prepared' are children from a play-based school versus traditional preschool setting? Or perhaps this questions is better framed as how does a play-based program help to prepare a child for the school system? I'm intrigued enough to look into this a bit more.

I do a combo of both right now but the pressure comes from me and needing to let go of my expectations of what a preschool looks like. My parents are pretty easy going and like the 'others' I do with the kids which gives me some freedom to experiment.