View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I'm going to answer from my perspective, because I do things very similarly.
My answer: this is a new family. I set the precedence right off the bat. The first few weeks, I make absolutely no exception to my rules. After I know the family for awhile, I will take things on a case by case basis since they now know I'm serious about my policies.

As far as parents counting heads. No, I don't openly state "sure, walk in and take a look." I take privacy very, very seriously. Plus, they (parents) don't know the ages of the children I have in care, some may look younger than 1 who are actually closer to 2 and try to say I have too many infants. Or they don't understand licensing capacities. Here, I can switch between a C1/C2 license if I want to take on an additional toddler. I can have between 10-12 kids in varying ages. I also have part timers who trade days. People who aren't in the business just don't understand the intricacies of the rules.

They just have no business in my business beyond their child and they have no real vested interest in the others.
I communicate with them in several different ways- probably TOO MUCH. They are well informed on what they need to be informed on. They see pictures, videos and in depth information on projects we do several times a week (I have a password protected website only they can view after logging on). They don't need to be face to face with the other children to see us working on our day.

To me, this is a business first. Not family or friends. I don't hang out with my own children's teachers, substitutes or admins in their school. I don't demand to be able to walk in to their classroom. I know it's disruptive to the kids and their teachers and the learning that's suppose to be actively happening all day, even in play.

I understand that the way I do things is not for everyone.
I also understand why some providers feel they want to offer that service.

What irritates me though is the people that say "If you aren't allowed to see your child (along with others-because let's face it, THAT'S what they want to see) in action, then you shouldn't trust that provider." That's wrong in my opinion. If it doesn't work for them, just move on to one who offers what you want.

I also think given the actions of this parent... calling to ask licensing BEFORE thinking to ask the provider says alot about the parent. I am willing to bet this parent came across as "difficult" or "needy" immediately and more than likely fits the description of those parents that when asked about on this forum during the interview most of our responses are "RUN", "NEXT" or "Red Flag". Hence the providers unwillingness to allow her "access" to anything other than the child.

I am NOT saying this parent is any of those things but the simple fact that as an adult, they chose to "tattle" or "report" first before knowing the whole story or taking it to the person that could actually answer her questions and appease her concerns is unsettling to me.

NOT once but TWICE!!

First parent called licensing to ask BEFORE going to provider to discuss openly and honestly .
Second the parent posted here. AGAIN, before going to the provider to discuss openly and honestly.

IMHO, that's not something you can simply chalk up to first time parenting as poster alludes to several times.

That's something I equate with someone's overall character.