View Single Post
hwichlaz 04:55 PM 07-02-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you all for the advice and information.

A quick update, my father in law isn't doing so well, his health has taken a further turn for the worse. The boy is adjusting well to our home, but all of us are experiencing growing pains. Money is still an issue, we haven't been paid anything. I'm working two jobs and struggling to keep up with all of the bills, vacation savings has already gone to clothes and basics that he needed, and an unexfected dentist bill because he had never been to one. We are working on trying to schedule HFA and/or Aspergers testing for the boy too.

The important thing is that he is adjusting well though. He is a good kid, that is welcome in our home, and he is rapidly learning to be a part of our family. We are learning to treat him as a son and our kids are learning to treat him as a brother. Unfortunately I don't think his father will survive the summer. If and when that happens, money will never again be an issue for us. I pray for his recovery, but that seems unlikely. Again, not the outcome any of us desire, but a thin silver lining to the dark storm clouds ahead.

Thank you all again for your time and sharing information and advice.
See if you can apply to do kinship care. In my state you get foster parent stipends for that.