View Single Post
Blackcat31 10:40 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I dont have any policy on weathrer, because I dont travel for work. Its the parents discretion. But they still have to be on time for pick up and pay if their child does not come.
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I stay open as I don't travel. However, if they are pulling emergency vehicles off the road and/or are closing major roads then I will close.

If the power is off I will stay open unless I can't keep food safe or the house warm. I would close if it were off for days (like during Hurricane season).
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
If crap hits the fan I text parents and let them know we are alive. And sheltering in place. And ask them to pick up when it's safe. I also post to my personal and business page the same info. In true emergencies calls texts or FB messages might not go through. In aug I could read messages from FB but not respond. However I could update my status so that's how we communicated w not only parents but our own families as well. FB actually had a pop up that you clicked to state you were safe after the tornadoes hit. It helped tremendously because regular channels were so unpredictable.

If power is out I ask for pickup. Other than that, I dont parent them. I'm here. If they get stuck in my drive I lend them a shovel. If they get stuck on the road I recommend a friends tow service.
Not traveling to and from shouldn't influence your policies for emergency closures.

Many liability insurance policies do not provide coverage for times outside of your normal operating hours.

Licensing in my state recommends closing because you are not legally suppose to be caring for kids outside your licensed hours...even in emergency situations.

Also if the weather is bad enough that parents really shouldn't be traveling also means emergency vehicles can't get to you either.

I know not all states have those rules and suggestions etc but my point is, check with licensing and with your insurance and/or home owners to be sure that keeping kids in situations like this is okay and covered.