View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 07:45 AM 05-06-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Not at all. Honestly, with all the paperwork and then entering it onto their website, I don't think it is worth it. It is sooooooooooo much extra time and stress making sure they have just enough of this and that. Plus, I have families that don't allow their kids to drink milk and I have to still put it in front of them or get into trouble. So waste. Lots and lots of waste! The kids don't eat near all of what I am required to feed them. I am going to give it a try thru the summer (since I will be feeding so many more kids at each meal time). But I may not continue next school year.
I agree 100%. I'm in CA and I don't know how it works for everyone else but here I'm beginning to think that it's too much hassle just for reimbursement for SOME money. I buy groceries on seperate receipts for my family and my DC. A lot of it is the same food but I buy double and keep the receipts now and ONLY give DC food to DC kids. AT the end of the year I'll just claim all of my DC food and get it ALL back. I keep my families grocery receipts also to prove that I buy groceries for my own family.

Signing up for the food program was easy enough but I had one visit with the worker and she just gave me a bunch of papers and said here's what's allowed and sort of left to think about my own foods and menus. I feel that she didn't give me enough training. It's sort of like a sink or swim type of training. I learned everything I needed to know from other providers on the food program. You have to enter every child's information into a computer program that's connected to the internet so you HAVE to have internet connection. That's ok with me but what about those who don't? Anyway, the menus have to be entered in to this program weekly in advance and god forbid that you send them a menu plan and they come to your home and you changed one little thing on the menu. Even something as little as changing oranges to grapes instead for the fruit is a big no-no. At the end of each meal you have to enter in the info of who was here, who ate, what they ate etc. You can also do this at the end of the day for everyone but it has to be done THAT day. If there's a family emergency or you need to go out and do something after DC or just forget and you don't enter the info that day, you don't get paid for that day. They can also come in to your house whenever they want during your meal and snack times to check that you're feeding them properly. And heaven forbid that you're running late and they show up at lunch and the kids are not eating. You have to tell them what time your meal and snack times are and stick to them.

Not so long ago I started having park days twice a week since my home is walking distance to four really nice parks. We go to a different park each time to keep things interesting and we can be there for a few hours so I take beverages and lunch and snacks with us. The bad thing is that here in CA the food program doesn't cover any meals that are eaten out of the home even if you prepare it at home and pack it with you. Also you have to call them each time you are gone during a snack or mealtime so they don't accidentally show up while you are gone. Too much trouble if you ask me.