View Single Post
nannyde 09:22 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I agree. And there is nothing wrong with teaching children about responsibility and doing chores. They have lots of play time too. I NEVER clean up the toys at my day care. The kids made the mess. The kids clean it up. Same in real life. Sooner they learn that the better. Part of the problem with older kids today is that they have been catered to and pampered to the point of silliness.

My kids clean up all the toys themselves. They are expected to clean their own place after meals. They are expected to put their own blanket down for nap and put it away after.

I do not believe that my job as a day care provider is to provide fun, fun, fun and nothing else. I work as a partner with the parents and my job entails raising these little ones to be productive, self-confident adults one day. That's not going to happen if I cater to their every whim. We have lots of fun, but we do chores too.

I believe in balance and folding laundry is just as important as playing and I bet the kids enjoy it too! They love to do "grown up" stuff!

I have it my handbook that we are FAMILY day care. And just like a real family, everyone is expected to pitch in with the running of the place. I expect my own children to do chores and I expect nothing less from the day care kids. The parents I have now LIKE that about my day care. They don't want to take home a totally spoiled child who then balks at making their bed and helping pick up around the house.

Bottom line...I am their day care provider...not their maid or cruise director. I teach them about LIFE and life isn't all water play and field trips. Those are great, but not the be all and end all of summer at day care.
My motto is: If you can walk you can work.

I think I'll have t-shirts made

They are shucking corn.... but they don't know it's actually work. I'm thinking about starting a fourth business where I have the kids shuck corn for a dollar an ear. Hmmm I'll have to math that one. Might be able to contract with Birdseye.